Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Apraxia?

Sweets has her appointment next week to get fitted for the orthotics, so that ball is rolling. Sweets made a big jump in abilities around 18-19 months, but now is pretty stable again. I can't say she really has many more words than she did 3 months ago, and she isn't really saying them any better than she was. The only notable addition to her vocabulary is "pee pee", though she will attempt to repeat certain sounds and words with prompting. She does have some more consonants - her newest is the "F" sound. She has at least 40 signs though and picks them up more easily and uses them in context, and another 10 or so that she is trying. She will sometimes combine two signs, such as DRINK MILK, to tell us what she wants. With prompting, she will say the first sound of a word with the sign ("duh" for done, "muh" for more or milk, etc). She will sometimes look right at you and babble something, giving you the impression that she thinks she is telling you something specific. She is doing pretty well at identifying body parts now (or at least face parts). She can follow 2 step directions. She had an OT eval because she can't do the shape sorter or chunky puzzles, but she can do the piggy bank just fine, so they concluded that it is more of a spacial reasoning issue than an OT issue.

Over the weekend, I happened to be at a party with a pediatric neurologist from UNC and we talked some about Sweets. Of course, Sweets wasn't there, and she didn't see her clinically, but she gave me some things that I might want to look into based on my description. One was developmental coordination disorder. I looked that up and I'm not so sure she is *that* uncoordinated, but the doc said that it often presents with apraxia of speech as well. I looked up apraxia of speech and that sounds more like Sweets to me. It's hard to really know anything just from looking on the internet though. I asked Sweets' speech therapist what she thought about apraxia, and she said it is certainly a possibility for Sweets but that she wouldn't feel comfortable diagnosing apraxia at this age and would wait until she was 3. On the internet (again...) I have read several accounts of 2 year olds diagnosed with this though. I emailed the person who did our Duke speech eval about this and she said that they can test for it at 2. I would like to find someone local who is experienced with evaluating for this. It doesn't have to be at Duke, if there is someone else more suitable.

Her 2 year WCC is coming up this month, but I didn't know if I should ask the sub doc about this since she doesn't really know Sweets. Our regular ped will be out on maternity leave, but I am emailing her about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment